New Year's Rice Cake Soup Ddeok Mandu Guk is a traditional Korean New Years soup that you have of course on New Years. Although we were a week late in preparing the dish we should at least get credit for making it for the first time without Korean adult supervision and it still came out great. Also technically we would have to eat this for lunar new year so the would be in a couple of weeks this year.
- .5 Lbs of Skirt Steak (The cheapest steak a man could buy)
- 1 tsp of minced garlic
- 1tbs of soy sauce
- 1.5-2 cups of beef broth
- 2tbs of cooking oil
- 1 Stem of Green Onion
- Ddeok ( Rice Cake) 3 generous Handfuls
- Mandu (Korean Dumplings) 2-3 Cups
1.Wash and prep the meat, cut the meat into cubes or thin strip. ( I prefer the thin strips because, in a latter process when you are boiling the meat in the broth I feel like it gets more flavor.)
2.Marinate the beef strip in the soy sauce and garlic in a separate bowl for 15 minutes minimum.
5.In a separate frying pan, place about 2 tbs of oil in a frying pan, heat up the oil and then place the meat on the pan. Fully cook for about 3-5mins, while stirring around. (Cook to your preference)
6. Take the meat from the heat and place into the broth. Add about 2 more cups of water to the broth. (Add Salt to taste)
7. Cut one stem of green onion into about 1 cm rings & Place into the broth.
Here is the Final Product!!
Finalize the serving of this dish with a couple of side dishes.
***Sorry for not taking as many pictures as I could have but I mean it was so each to make
I hope I am detailed enough where you would be able to follow. ***